Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 19, 2012

Stuck at 25 - Musings of a Chubby Grandma

OnMusing #6
Today I am Musing about the 3 L's of old age.
There are a lot of things you can do to slow the loss of your youthful look.
There are a lot of suggestions and millions of products advertised. You can even get a "Life Lift" if you've the money. (I wonder - can they do that over and over again, and after a few years does the "Life Lift" fall?)
Anyway - I have boiled it down to 3 L's I live by.
LIPSTICK, LOTION, AND LAUGHTER
Lotion:
One of the things I remember about my Mother (who is turning 84 next month) is watching her apply Cold Cream to her face. I assume she was removing her makeup (She fixed herself up every morning which included doing her hair and makeup) I seem to remember her applying cream or lotion before putting on her make up too, I bet she has the same routine today.
I have been applying creams and or lotions to my face; paying close attention to the wrinkles and my eye area since I was 16. Has it made a difference? I don't know. Do I have less wrinkles and puffiness than other women my age? I don't know. Does it make me feel better about myself? YES IT DOES!
I can only assume that is why my Mother does the same thing. She never wallows in self pity or depression just gets up, gets ready for the day (which includes making herself the best she can be) and gets on with it. She set a great example for me.
I have found out, over the years, that it does not matter how expensive or what brand name the lotion or cream is, (some of the cheap ones seem to work better) it just matters that you use it.
PS don't for get to put lotion on your chest - the part that shows when you wear a V neck. There is nothing worse that a wrinkley chest.
LIPSTICK:
Words to live by - Lipstick makes everything better!
If you are feeling down, if you look like crap and someone is at the door,
If you are having your picture taken, and especially if you are going out (with the girls, or your favorite guy) etc. these are all times to grab your lipstick and apply.
Reds are the best but if Red is too much for you ....pinks and berry colors or even tinted gloss
with be alright. It only takes 2 seconds to apply lipstick.
Get ready for comments .... They may say things like....Where have you been? Are you going out? Are you wearing lipstick in the middle of the day? Wow your teeth look so white etc.
But that is ok. I live for comments like these. Lipstick does make everything better.
LAUGHTER:
There have been soooo many studies done reagarding years being added to your life span due to great doses of laughter. They are right!
Laughter is the best medicine!
I suppose I should have mentioned Laughter as the first "L" or mentioned it between each of the others.
I believe in order to grow old gracefully (we will all get old, why not do it gracefully) we must
apply Lotion and Lipstick regularly and Laughter liberally - besides we might as well have all those wrinkles around our eyes and mouth go up instead of down right?
So think about it and call your favorite make up consultant today, then call your best friend and have a good laugh!
until tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Mom... I didn't gain that love of lipstick as you and I know Suzie did... I worry more about my eyes... but I do where lotion on my face... Aveno... started wearing it in Utah when I moved there and my face didn't like there weather... it makes my skin all one even hue...
    Laughter... laughing at yourself is a good one but if you laugh at others especially your kids make sure it's not a making fun of them laugh because you don't want them to grow up insecure... this is one thing me and Dave constantly have to remind ourselves because it's hard to not make fun of your kids but I don't want them to think there mom makes fun of them... so we laugh with them...

    ReplyDelete